What is a hopper window? Like casement windows, hopper windows have hinges. However, their hinges are on the bottom, and they open inward from the top. A special support keeps them from breaking during heavy winds.
Hopper windows are one of the more popular choices for basement windows and small bathroom or bedroom windows. Transoms can be hopper windows that are placed above another style of window; they can also be an awning window.
Advantages of a Hopper Window
- Great ventilation. Due to their hinges, hopper windows can fully open. This allows for maximum ventilation, especially in a cramped space.
- Easy to Open. Crank handles mean no wrestling with panes and gravity to get hoppers open.
- Easy to Clean. Due to their placement, hopper windows can catch a lot of dirt and grime. Because of how they open, however, cleaning these windows is a breeze.
- Energy Efficient. Hopper windows create three tight seals when closed, making them a great option for energy efficiency. They can stop twice as much air as leakage than sliding or double-hung windows.
Disadvantages of a Hopper Window
- Limited privacy. Because they open inwards from the top, hopper windows are difficult to cover with blinds or curtains. Tinting can help add privacy, as can setting the windows in a deep frame to allow room for shades or blinds.
- Water and Moisture. While they seal tightly, open hopper windows will allow water in when it is raining. Be sure to close them when storms are rolling in!
- Security concerns. Often used for basement windows, hoppers are popular targets for breaking and entering. They have a lock at the top, but this can be difficult to reach in some homes. Other options are available for securing hoppers.
Answering Questions About Hopper Windows for Montgomery County & Surrounding Area
Hopper windows have a lot of personality, but they really only work in certain spaces. Our window experts can help you determine if hopper or awning windows will work in the space you have, or if installing transoms will help ventilate your home.
Are you looking for replacement hopper windows in the Montgomery County area or nearby? Do you have questions for our experts? Contact us today, or stop by our showroom! Our friendly staff is always happy to help.